Aloha Friday! Finally had a chance to stay up to answer Berry’s 20 Personal SL Questions Meme as well as show off some cool finds for weekend shopping. From what I’ve been dutifully reading as an unabashed Berry stalker….She will be on a well deserved, well earned personal vacation to….that far distant land called “FarFarAway”.
So without further a doodad, lettuce commence:
Meme instructions: Answer the following 20 personal questions about your Second Life. Don’t forget to share a link to your post in the comments!
- When and how did you discover Second Life? Sneaky advertising circa 2007.
- Did you know about virtual worlds before or was this your first experience with them? I had heard about TSO (The Sims Online), and saw a few commercials, but Second Life was my first virtual 3D world platform/experience…thing.
- Has Second Life met your expectations? As far as having a purpose in my play? Yes-sorta. I’m really appreciative of the fact that we can re-invent our selves in this medium. On the other hand, the technical gobbilty goop, could use more elbow grease.
- If you could teleport back to the first ten minutes of your avatar’s slife, what would you tell yourself? Do NOT accept the 100 boxes of packed freebie shoes from that flying spider with the afro at Help Island. Just don’t!
- How long did it take you to master avatar flying and driving vehicles inworld? Eh heh. I still have my kindergarten certificate. I walk like a duck. I fly like an ostrich and I drive like a drunken sea turtle.
- Do you have a mystery alt? Nopers. All of my alts I’ve blogged about here, in the freeegin’ world wide web.
- Is your SL avatar a reflection of you, or someone you wished you could be? So I would be half joking when I say, I would never want to look like my avatar. It took me a very long time to come to appreciate my RL body/looks whatever, and am finally happy now. I’m just like me in world and off, and I type and talk like it too. It’s very annoying.
- Is there an individual you met in SL that inspired you in your RL? How? Yes! and her name is Cris Leakey. She has such a wonderful outlook on life, and her personality bubbles over and zaps everything she touches to life. If my favorite color is purple, hers is lavender with a strong pink hue and multi colored glitter just for fun. I want to be like this, and have it permeating wherever I go irl. Life is too short to be a wet blanket.
- Do you feel it is easier to create stronger bonds/relationships with people you meet inworld as opposed to the real world? Easier? Maybe at one time it was for me. It used to be that SL was my sole means of socializing and that was tragic to say the least. A little bit of maturity and my circumspect has changed, so that now, if and when I meet new people in world, it is met with questions like, “Do I have the time and energy to invest in this relationship?” Be it business or friendship. Time has become a precious commodity.
- Did you ever imagine or believe people could fall in love with someone they never met before Second Life? Yes. ‘Falling in love’ with someone over the internet wasn’t a new thing to me when I started Second Life.
- How has your perspective of dating changed (or not) since you started playing second life? It’s akin to playing with fire, imho. There’s a big fat neon sign that goes on every time I feel like ‘someone’ is getting a wee bit too close. The sign says, “GO PLAY MINECRAFT!”
- How has your perspective of employment changed (or not) since you started playing second life? So this is an interesting question! (think think think). I’ve been tempted to get another RL part time job to support my SL spending habits… does that count as a change in perspective? (its okay I laughed too)
- Name three things in both your lives that overlap each other significantly. 1. All the gorgeous food that people have been creating. Not sure how that overlaps, but I raaallly like food. A lot.
2. Friendships. Many are my RL friends whom I’ve met in person.
3. Blogging. This blog is very new, but blogging in general has always been a part of my life.
- If you could live your life more immersively in a virtual world, would you? (Kind of like the Matrix) I read this book once, where the villain (of the book) RP’d a car thief/mobster lord in Second Life. The villain would get his virtual kicks and then take it out on his actual victims. After I read that, the idea of immersing myself in a virtual world sorta scared the Jesus juice out of me.
However, I have been warming up to the idea again, with the advent of the Oculus Rift, though the flying part looks scary Oo.
- How do you think behavior changes for people if they’re inworld vs in real world? Why do you think that is? Because to some folks, we’re just pixels a passing through, and I think it is just a sign of the times. That anonymous factor is a big doodoo too.
- How has second life consumerism changed your perception of spending habits, the value of money, the need to be “bleeding edge” with fashion? I swear I just heard the phone ring, brb.
Okay joking aside, I’ve had to tone down the spending considerably because of time limitations. Otherwise my lame excuse was always, “It’d be spent on entertainment anyway, and SL is currently my entertainment.”
HA, yeah right Wendz, keep telling yourself that.
- Do you think virtual worlds like SL, drive and redefine human interaction or do they narrow and limit it? We live in exciting times! While I don’t endorse the idea that everything can or should be simulated in a virtual reality/environment, I do believe that virtual worlds should be a part of the human experience particularly in the areas of research, commerce, and entertainment.
- If technology progressed tomorrow to allow you to send emotions to people the way you’d send text or voice messages, would it enrich your SL experience or infringe on it? Back to that Matrix thing up there. If we were able to send emotions through technology, or when we do, I would hope the enriching part would better our first lives rather than be a detriment.
- Name three skills you attribute to having learned or honed in second life alone. Networking, Database mining (haha), and Photo Editing skills.
- If your grand kids googled your Second Life Avatar’s name, would they be intrigued, disgusted, proud or something else? …my kids already laugh and point at me. (waves hello to the kids, you’re grounded).
Here’s a Friday collage for some shopping ideas. Hope you all have a great weekend and do stop by Berry’s Meme|Challenges for your weekly inspiration.
Top: *V-Spot Cobain Hoodie in grey/green by Vertig0 Sands | New!
Shorts: Delirium Style‘ Markus Capris
Hat: Argrace Baseball Cap
Necklace: KOSH’ Thorn Necklace
Hairbase: AITUI’ Standard 002
Skin: Tableau Vivant‘ Kevin #5
Facial Hair: Tableau Vivant Facial Hair #4 Soul Thin Curtain
Hands: Slink Relaxed Mesh Hands
Pose:*BePPin ! The Editorial Couple Pose #2
XIAJ x ZZANG Non-perishable Bike + wine + RARE gacha
Top: Mutresse’ Nadya Tank Top
Pants: *BePPin! Independ.a.n.t in burgundy |Cosmopolitan Sale Room!
Hair: elua’ Ricci’ in ombre | New!
Skin: *Glam Affair Coral #2 | Collabor88
Hands: Slink Casual and Gesture Mesh Hands
Nails: *beauty by alaskametro’ Coral (for Slink Av/e)